Located on Sargent Road just behind the Londonderry Central Fire Station, Greeley-Parmenter-Harrington Post 27 is the home of nearly 700 Legionnaires, Sons, and Ladies Auxiliary members who fervently support veterans while having a very good time doing it. We are indeed a Legion Family which sticks together and gets things done!
We are part of the American Legion, the largest veterans’ organization in the world with over 2.5 million members. Now, more than ever, the American Legion needs the support of its membership to make sure that our government supports our troops returning home as well as those who have served our country in the past.
Nationally, the American Legion led the long-term but successful fight that secured advance budget appropriations for the VA’s medical care operations.
In New Hampshire, one of our very own members sponsored legislation to raise the veterans’ property tax exemption from just $100 to up to $500 a year. And the American Legion also fought for the state to grant full college scholarships to the children of men and women killed while serving on active duty.
In addition, we do many things locally to further our cause:
- We assist our veterans in need not only in Londonderry, but also in nearby nursing homes, in the VA Medical Center in Manchester, and in the Tilton Veterans Home.
- We sponsor several programs that benefit our youth including Boys and Girls State, scholarships to two graduating members of the Londonderry High School Band, and our American Legion baseball team which won the State Championship in 2005 and 2009.
- We provide our members with a Service Officer who helps them obtain answers to their eligibility questions as well as veterans benefits.
- We sponsor and run the annual Memorial Day, Flag Day, September 11, and Veterans Day observances in Londonderry.
- We have several social events throughout the year and run fun leagues in golf, horseshoes, pool, and shuffleboard.
- And, we have a welcoming, friendly canteen environment---“where everybody knows your name”---complete with a full bar, beer, wine, soft drinks, five TV’s and a jukebox. This provides the vast majority of the funding for all of our activities.
New members are always welcome and everyone is invited to take part in our activities and events. Please stop by anytime!